TEST TAKING STRATEGIES FOR STAFF NURSE EXAMS
In this era of increasing competition and advances in the health care industry, it is becoming impertinent for the nursing professionals to keep themselves prepared and demonstrate their competence. Here we discuss some tips and tricks for competitive exams.
1. PYRAMID TO SUCCESS
• Avoid asking yourself, “Well, what if………?
• Focus only on the information in the question, read every word and make a decision
• Look for the strategic words in the question e.g.: immediately, initial etc.
• Use the process of elimination when choices or options are presented
• Determine if the question is a positive or negative event query
• Use all your nursing knowledge, clinical experience, and your test taking skills and strategies to answer the question.
2 .QUESTIONS THAT REQUIRE PRIORITIZING
• Look for the strategic word in the question that indicate the need to prioritize e.g.: primary, vital, immediate, initial, best etc.
• Here all options may be correct and you need to determine the correct order of action
• Strategies to use to prioritize include the ABCs, Maslow’s Hierarchy of Needs theory and the steps of the nursing process
• The ABCs – airway ,breathing ,and circulation
• Maslow’s Hierarchy of Needs Theory
• Steps of nursing process- Assessment, Analysis, Planning, Implementation, Evaluation
3. CLIENT NEEDS
• Safe and Effective Care Environment : these types of questions focus on safety, importance of hand washing ,call bells, bed positioning and the concepts of nursing care that the nurse provides.
• Physiological Integrity
• Psycho social Integrity
• Health Promotion and Maintenance
4. ELIMINATING COMPARATIVE OR ALIKE OPTIONS
• Eliminate options which are of same meaning, comparative or alike options.
5. ELIMINATING OPTION CONTAINING CLOSE ENDED WORDS
• Because these words infer a fixed or extreme meaning; these types of options are usually incorrect
• Close ended words include- all, always, every, must, none, never, and only.
6. LOOK FOR THE UMBRELLA OPTION
• The umbrella option is one that is a broad or universal statement and that usually contains the concepts of the other options within it.
• The umbrella option will be the correct answer.